- This event has passed.
First Day of Trout Season
April 3, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 9:00 pmSee event details
Regional Opening Day Counties
All waters in Adams, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Cumberland, Dauphin, Delaware, Franklin, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill and York counties (County Guide).
Streams on county borders that are part of Regional Opening Day:
- Mahantango Creek, between Northumberland and Dauphin counties. This is the ONLY stream in Northumberland Co. opening on the earlier date.
- West Branch Mahantango Creek, between Snyder and Juniata counties. This is the ONLY stream in Snyder Co. opening on the earlier date.
- Two streams in Carbon County — Lizard Creek and Mahoning Creek.
TIME: 8 a.m.
MINIMUM SIZE: Seven (7) inches
FISHING HOURS: 24 hours a day, after the 8 a.m. opener
Regular season (opening day thru Labor Day)
- 5 (combined species)
Extended season (Jan. 1-Feb. 15) & (day after Labor Day-Dec. 31)
- 3 (combined species)
- In addition to a fishing license, trout anglers 16 and older must posses a Trout Permit (or Combination Trout/Lake Erie Permit) to fish for trout.
- A Lake Erie Permit (or Combination Trout/Lake Erie Permit) is also needed to fish for trout, salmon and steelhead in Lake Erie and its tributaries.
- Licenses must be signed in ink and displayed on an outer garment. Anglers must also be able to provide positive proof of identification (other than the fishing license) upon request of a Waterways Conservation Officer.
- Valid Dates – 2021 licenses and permits are valid December 1, 2020 through December 31, 2021 (except 1, 3 and 7-day licenses) and are available beginning Dec. 1, 2020 at issuing agents statewide and online through our secure e-commerce site at huntfish.pa.gov.
- Multi-Year Licenses also available.
Visit our fishing license Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to find out more about fishing licenses.